Sunday, July 21, 2019

Apicius 5.6.3 Iterum: Fava Beans in Pine Nut Mustard Sauce

I was lucky enough to get my hands on some fresh fava beans yesterday at a local farmstand, so I tried this recipe again. I also researched how to properly cook them, so this time after de-podding them, I blanched them in boiling water for a minute or so, then slipped them out of their inner (surprisingly plastic-like) skins to reveal the pure bright green bean inside. I did not get a picture, alas, but that's because I ate them all right up, yum yum! And though I didn't have any rue (it does not seem to have survived in my herb garden), I did remember to pour a little vinegar in a little bowl to dip them in, which turned out to be a very nice addition to the balance of flavors. I highly recommend this recipe now. I think if I can't find fresh fava beans in the future I'll try it again with the frozen fresh kind, but this time I'll thaw them first and blanch them as if they were fresh to get the inner skins off.

This was really good!

No comments:

Post a Comment